One thing I have learned over the years is that success looks different to different people.
For some of us, success looks like financial stability.
For others, it looks like the freedom to do what we want with our time.
For some of us, it might look like a promotion or reaching a certain goal in our careers.
For others, it might simply be happiness…the ability to do what we love and to do it well.
More specifically, though, what does success in parenting look like?
- Maybe it looks like going an entire day without a meltdown from your difficult child.
- Maybe it looks like being able to go out to dinner without the fear of a child embarrassing you so much you have to leave. For a long time, this was what success looked like to me!
- Maybe it looks like happiness or peace in your home. You will feel like a successful parent when your home is a happy place for everyone who lives there.
- Maybe it looks like a child that confides in you. Success to you is all about having a good relationship with your children.
- Maybe it looks like a child who obeys most of the time.
- Maybe it looks like a child who is respectful and kind to others.
Success has a different meaning for all of us, but it’s important to understand what it means to you because you can’t work toward a goal you haven’t set.
Asking yourself what it means to you specifically can help increase your odds of achieving it.
That is the ONLY way you will ever be successful: if you know what it looks like to you!
After all, if you don’t know what it means to you, how will you know when you’ve succeeded?
Picture it in your mind, and be specific. What are the goals you want to reach?
One other thing to keep in mind is that as you grow and change, your idea of success changes too.
I used to view success as going out to dinner without a fight from my kids. But now that we have reached that goal, I have set new goals. My ideas of what success looks like continue to grow as I grow.
So you need to keep thinking about this on a regular basis. Keep reevaluating. Keep dreaming.
And as always, I am not a medical doctor and the above post is based on my experience. No information on this site should be relied upon to make a medical diagnosis, treat, prevent or cure any disease or medical condition.