Chia seeds are a super foods and an awesome way to add hidden nutrients to all different things. Some of my favorites are smoothies, chia seed puddings and baked goods. They are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty, rich in antioxidants, and provide fiber, iron, and calcium. As I have said before omega-3 fatty acids boost brain function but it also boosts the body’s production of dopamine which is the neurotransmitter that adhd medications work to increase. It also helps raise HDL cholesterol, the good cholesterol that protects against heart attack and stroke.
Chia seed puddings are a great on the go breakfast or even a treat /snack for your kids and an even better vehicle to sneak in some extra nutrients.
Also the pudding is a great way to also add in some extra high quality protein. Protein is the second most plentiful substance in the body (after water) and is needed in the growth and repair of every cell in the body. (Click here for my fave brand).
Chia seed pudding cups recipe
- 3 cups unsweetened hemp, rice or coconut milk;
- 4 Tbsps grass-fed collagen or protein powder (Click here for my fave brand);
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract;
- 1/2 cup chia seeds;
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (to make make it more of a treat) or blended fruits of choice (banana, strawberry, mango, figs, etc).
- Mix all elements together;
- Then portion into small mason jars or bowls and allow to gel in refrigerator for at least 4 hours;
- Consider making these in big batches on the weekend to have on hand for breakfasts and snacks;
- This recipe will make 4 servings;
- When ready to serve, top with your fave topper (pomegranate, Muesli, seeds etc).
For more healthy recipes be sure to check out my recipe page here>>