Kid Friendly Slow-Cooker Chili – Nutrition is such important part in managing your child’s general health and well being or symptoms of neurodevelopmental disorders such as ADHD, SPD, Autisim, Anxiety.
Most parents know how challenging it is to have time to plan and cook well balanced meals. Well, enter the slow cooker! I could not live without my Crock-pot slow cooker.
This model works great too and is half the cost.
This kid friendly slow-cooker chili recipe is super quick, super inexpensive, and super nutritious. The kidney beans and olive oil are good sources of essential omega-3 fatty acids. The meat, kidney beans and garbanzo been give you lots of protein.
My son loves chili in a Thermos for lunch at school. Read about our road to thrive here>>
Here is my family’s favorite Kid Friendly Slow-Cooker Chili:
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 large onion – chopped
2 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
28 oz diced tomatoes – undrained
1 can (16 oz) chili beans – undrained
1 can (16 oz) garbanzo bean – undrained
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
- In a large non-stick skillet, add in oil and cook onion over medium heat for 4 minutes. Add beef and continue cooking until meat is no longer pink for about 8 – 10 minutes. Stir frequently to ensure beef is crumbled; drain.
- In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix beef, onion and remaining ingredients.
3 Cover and cook on high for 4 – 5 hours or on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- Top with your favorite toppers depending on your special diet. Some of these can include:
- Cheese or DF cheese
- Sour cream
- Jalepeanos (mainly for adult tastes!)
And wallah!!! Yummy, healthy, nutritious, kid friendly slow-cooker chili!